Tuesday, July 28, 2020

I'm Moving




              I've decided to move.


              I have loved living on Long Island. I moved here when I got married. I was a city girl through and through and even though Long Island was not that far away, it was quite the adjustment. 


The first, was the noise (or lack there of). I was so used to hearing sirens, fireworks, arguments and yes at times gunshots.

Here was a silence that kept me up at night.

In the city I lived in a dull colored building with dull colored walls and a metal elevator box whose walls were smeared with oil to discourage graffiti. 

Coronavirus wreaks havoc on New York City's public housing


The smell of urine was everywhere in the summer.

I LOVED that city.
                      NYC Broadway Week Winter 2020 is on | CityKinder
  

It was exciting, and open to all at all times.
                    
There was food from every culture available whenever the craving hit.

                                     24 NYC Restaurants Open On Christmas Day 2019 - Where to Eat ...
                                 source  


As a child I enjoyed the Henry Street Settlement and I think I saw the famous Paper Bags Players there.
               Child's Play: Cardboard, Creativity, and a Lot of Laughter ...
                                               source


I was a proud tour guide to friends from out of town and looked upon the statue of liberty and other landmarks with new appreciative eyes each and every visit.

When I moved I found all new loves...

I loved the trees and colors and the ocean and so many beaches to chose from.

                 Top 10 Long Island Beaches - Your AAA Network
                                                                source
I Love the Hamptons with its glimpses (through sky-high hedges) of the wealthy "summering" in their huge mansions.

I Love mom and pop stores and towns with an Old timey feel.

                                           Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island, New York
                 
                                          Cold Spring Harbor


My love of books finds me spending hours in the few books stores left here.
Book Revue is a gem and whenever I enter I drink in the scent of book pages and  friendly atmosphere.

                      Book Revue (@BookRevueLI) | Twitter                              
                                                 source

Even though I have lived here on the Island for 25 years and 31 in the city...

I'm moving.

I want to move to..... Sesame Street. Now, I know I'll be moving back to the city, but when I lived there I never found exactly where this street was located. I want to live there on that block....nowhere else will do.
                      Bert and Ernie have been mainstays of "Sesame Street" since the ...
                                                         source


I want to move and I will let go of the beaches and my sweet little cottage style home to live in an apartment and block where its clean and colorful.
                                          
Singing takes the place of arguing.

All cultures are respected and celebrated.

There is no Hate....just a very grumpy grouch that lives in a magical trash can.

There is a giant bird that everyone looks after and cares for.

There are lessons to be learned and they are learned in loving gentle tones

No one calls anyone hateful names.

People don't bully each other just because they might believe differently, look differently

On Sesame Street kindness and understanding is the norm

Empathy is stressed... putting yourself in another's shoes...trying to understand whats in the heart of another....what a beautiful thing empathy can be.

I want to move there.

                     HBO Max locks down exclusive access to new Sesame Street episodes ...
  
                         In that empathetic, loving colorful sing-song world.

                   Sesame Street welcomes newest Muppet who's in foster care

                                        I want to live there.









6 comments:

  1. I think we ALL do! Looks like you used to live in New York City.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginny! Yes I did Live in New York City for the longest time...moved out to the Island when I got married, but even after all this time I'm still a city girl at heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thinnk many of us would like to live on that street even those who live indiffernt countries

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo-Anne, If I find it, I'll let you know! We could be neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's see....can we vacation on Gilligan's Island! heehee! Let's GO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just give me 5 minutes to pack my bags!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments...I think I'm addicted to them! they are like chips...oooo chips....or chocolate....yum...chocolate. Or like......can ya tell I'm dieting? Please leave me a comment so that I can keep my mind off of snacks!!!