Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Reality of Garbage



Hey have you guys seen anything good on TV?


I mean anything that doesn't involve 40+ year-old house wives cheating with  random 20 something-year-old strangers
                    
                                     
                                                  The Graduate



Something that doesn't involve the subject of teenage pregnancy and somehow making it attractive instead of a warning to teens
                                                           
                                                
                                                                         source




Something that doesn't involve gratuitous sex scenes that are now abundant on regular TV instead of exclusively in movies


          Movie: Bob Carol Ted and Alice




Something that doesn't involve verbally abusive dance teachers or pushy pageant moms

                   


Something that doesn't involve drunk 20+ something-year-olds that think that the only thing in life that makes you worthy of love is how one looks...and of course the most expensive handbag.
                                      
                                           source


Something that doesn't involve a "Blushing Bride"  pushing, cursing, slapping, and trantruming to get her way. 
                                            
                                                        source

No table flippin'


No young woman or men humiliating  themselves to get attention
                                     

Since I love art ( Now I don't claim to be some art connoisseur) I appreciate it and I like what I like. My taste may appreciate an artist who works with paper bags or the classics of Renoir


I saw that there was a new show about the New York Art world.

It would be centered around a group of young women trying to break into the Art scene. They intern and work at various art galleries and there are even a group of them who manage to open a gallery as well.


My kind of show...so I thought.

All I saw was the same old thing that I see when they depict young women these days.

Catty

     Drunk

         Gossiping

              and some ( Not all ) with  an unbelievable sense of entitlement and up-turning of noses to anyone who is not like THEM.


       where were the artists?

                    
                           For that matter where was the art? It was pushed aside like some abandoned Hollywood backdrop.



another reality show with the same old formula.


They spoon feed us, and we (like hungry babies) gladly swallow it and ask for more....UGH.


I'm no angel. There have been shows that have grabbed me and held me in their reality show nonsense. It started with The Real World way back when
Then again when Survivor first appeared on the scene in 2000
The housewives of New York  was my Achilles heel later on 

But I quit.

      I'm done.

          

I wonder what would happen if we all just turned off the TV. How much money would be lost if every TV turned off for one day, one night, even one hour. Would anything change then?


       After all the dumbing down of shows...

              would we all have some sort of awakening?


 Would we get up and look around and realize all the time wasted?


I mean think about this....If someone came up to you and pointed to a pile of garbage and said

"Here, that's all there is. Look at this over and over again." 


Would you do it?


Haven't we done it?

I know I have.

         
So I have turned away, picked up the remote, and pressed....
                                         
                                                   source

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 comments:

  1. I would rather read than watch TV. I have to agree with you about the garbage that is on TV, a lot of it rather sickening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got rid of the cable a while back and stopped watching pretty much everything prior to it. I find that I get a lot more done:)



    I did love the first season of Survivor, though;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. TV is like a hypnotist...grabs you and doesn't let go! I love your Monday movie reviews Ma~ what a great idea!

      Delete
  3. I love this post, we got rid of our cabel a few years ago. Besides the junk on TV, i was tired of the horrible commercials in mid day that were so not ok for my little kids too see. I was also tired of paying $40 plus a month for watching this stuff, I finally added it up and if you pay just $40 a month that`s$480 a year and in 10 years you have paid the cable company $4800 dollars. Crazy !!!!!!!! Many people i know pay way more up to $100 each month.

    All we have now is the internet, as i need it as i work from home. I can still watch shows on the internet if I wish.

    We found that since we turned off the TV we would do other things, My kids still get to watch movies, but I know what there watching.

    The shows geared to young children are so horrible, the kids on those shows talk so horrible to there parents. arggggrhhh

    Some realitives of ours let there kids watch pretty much anything, they say its there choice as a parent. Which it is. But they are forgetting that there kids talk and tell and tease my kids about the fact that there allowed to watch it. I dont think i want my 7 year old hearing about CSI from a 6 year old.

    Let me say that I was always a huge TV fan, you could not have ever told me I would not watch it or have cable. i would have called you crazy.

    Both my Husband and I know find that we are much more affected by any kind of violance we see on tv, people forget that they are de-senceing there children to what they see.

    Wonderful shows I have purchased over the internet, Edwardian Farm, Victorian Farm, etc My kids love it and have learned so much from them. We watch it as a family.

    Sorry to ramble on, im just tired of being told that because i dont let me kids watch TV that there going to be wierd. Yes I was told that I should let me 5 year old watch JAWS, are you crazy!!!

    So i know that there are lots of spelling mistakes, please forgive them.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Jenn you are sooooo right about the commercials!!!!! A while ago I recorded an old movie that I thought the kids might like and when the commercials came on I was SHOCKED!!!! It was a kid's movie and because it was at night the commercials were beyond inappropriate. I love that you added the cost for just basic cable and how much we actually give the cable companies to fill our homes with Garbage. Thank you for that!

      Delete
  4. AMEN! Preach it Sista! I can not agree with you more, tv now days is sickening. Beyond the discovery/history channel (we watch the gator shows) and the weather channel, I relly don't watch tv. Disney and pbs for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I think more and more people are feeling the same way and are done with crappy TV.

      Delete
  5. Hey Joanne :)
    I turned off regular TV several years ago. It got tiresome. But I love to be entertained, so I watch movies, go to the theater & read. I think there are more of us turning off the box all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I had no idea so many people felt the same way I feel! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  6. Hey there! First of all thanks for stopping by my blog! :) Second, I completely agree with you. Several years ago when our kids were small we got rid of our satellite programming. I thought my kids would suffer some sort of TV withdrawals and felt a little sorry for them at the time. They didn't suffer withdrawals however. Instead, they got creative. My twin sons started writing their own stories and my daughter took up artwork. I'm not so sure any of that would have happened if we hadn't disconnected from satellite programming. We still have a television set, but we rent or stream programs from Netflix. We've even downgraded our Netflix membership to one DVD at a time. That way it forces us to find a good book to read or do something else we enjoy doing instead of staring at the TV for hours on end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Sherri. We got netFlix last year through our wii game console and It has been awesome. I save movies and even old shows that I think the kids would love and they do! One of my favorites when I was younger was the Andy Griffith show. does anyone remember that one? My son thinks it's hilarious!

      Delete
  7. I find it difficult to find really good TV shows but I do get allured by some of the music reality like "Duets", "X-Factor" and more. I also watch a lot of HGTV. Reading sometimes is a better choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen Duets, because I just love Kelly Clarkson. But the other stuff out there is just ridiculous. I even saw a commercial once for a reality TV show Called "My big fat Redneck wedding"!

      Delete
  8. When we lived in Italy, we didn't have American TV and it was great! We played cards, had friends for dinner, TALKED. I hated coming back to the States. I agree w/ everyone here - most shows and ads are awful. However, there are 2 shows that are great: Secret Millionaire and Undercover Boss. Both are touching and authentic and real life. I cry every time I watch Secret Millionaire. It's about good people getting better. It's on ABC Sunday nights. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I wonder did Italy have a lot of reality TV shows too? I wonder if it's just The US that is obsessed with these shows

      Delete
  9. Yes there is definitely a lot of bad programming that doesn't set any examples for children/teens/young adults today. I do enjoy some TV programming but mostly I watch movies all the time. I'm a sucker for romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. It seems that what these new shows teach is what's wrong is right and what's right is wrong. I love a good old fashioned Alfred Hitchcock or mystery

      Delete
  10. i admit i'm addicted to The Voice, and DWTS as well as The Big Bang Theory but in truth if you give me choice between tv and a book i'll take the book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becca!The Big Band Theory is clever and has great hilarious story lines. The writers are very very talented. I wonder if writers now are being nudged out by the reality Tv shows?
      I used to love DWTS but lately The pro dancers have become the stars and the contestants are not. They've done a total flip. Nothing beats a good book; You are right about that!

      Delete
  11. I gave up TV 10 yrs ago...I never felt like I missed anything.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments...I think I'm addicted to them! they are like chips...oooo chips....or chocolate....yum...chocolate. Or like......can ya tell I'm dieting? Please leave me a comment so that I can keep my mind off of snacks!!!