Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Carol



                     A few days before Valentines Day I went to the Supermarket and right there in the flower section was this...

                                         


It was a tiny rose plant in a teeny lady bug planter. I stopped to admire it and went on to start my shopping. Later, as I placed my items on the grocery belt there was the little rose plant that was not on my shopping list.


A few years ago I had a friend who was in a nursing facility. She had fallen years before and her health  started to seriously deteriorate after that. We never ever went out for coffee. We never went shopping. In fact I never saw her stand from her hospital bed. The pastor from my church asked if I would run some errands for a member of the church. This is how I met my friend. Whenever I visited I would bring her whatever was on her list and we'd talk for a bit. She would tell me about her family and all the things she did while she was an active member of our church. 

She loved to crochet and she would proudly show me all her creations. She even had a little business on the side at the nursing home!

One day I came across a plant just like this and I bought it for her. She loved it. She kept it on her food tray.

Shortly after she became very ill and ended up in the hospital. Her health plummeted and all the dreams she had of eventually going home were dashed. The last time I saw her I knew her time was short in this world. Another friend and I talked with her as best we could. She had on an oxygen mask and it was so hard to understand her, but something she said came through loud and clear. she said 
" I thank God for you"

My friend passed away shortly after that visit.
That was about 2 1/2 years ago.

I think of her when I see a pretty crochet pattern or when I hear her favorite song.

She was tough.
Even though she was in a nursing home completely dependent on others for just about everything she had a dignity that could not be erased.
She had a way of being that made you forget the fact that she was stuck in that bed. 

I miss my friend.

So when I saw that little plant; I knew I had to buy it. 
Today I pruned it a bit hoping that more buds will grow. I put the tiny flowers in one of my daughter's old toy tea cups.


Thinking of you Carol, and I thank God for you too.


6 comments:

  1. What a sad story. Except for the fact that she had YOU. So you were both very blessed. I think that Pastor knew exactly what he was doing when he sent you over there so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, You are just too sweet. Thank You! How are you feeling? I hope you are feeling better.
      Have a beautiful day

      Delete
  2. Sweet memory! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mindy! Glad you enjoyed the post. Hope you are having a great day!

      Delete
  3. you were faithful in your love and care. What a sweet reminder to be the same.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments...I think I'm addicted to them! they are like chips...oooo chips....or chocolate....yum...chocolate. Or like......can ya tell I'm dieting? Please leave me a comment so that I can keep my mind off of snacks!!!