Thursday, May 05, 2011

Labor pains

We were PREPARED. I had packed my hospital bag well in advance. source

     We had taken the Lamaze classes.

                We had pre-registered at the Hospital.

All that was needed was labor to begin......

On my due date. At 7 am my water broke. After that NOTHING that was planned to a "T" happened.

I was sent home twice because they said I was not ready.
My doctor was away and so because of a few other circumstances I had to go to another Hospital.

I never got the epidural I wanted so badly...something about missing  my window of opportunity...the biggest load of poop ever.

And so there I was laying in that hospital bed in the worst pain of my life. The back pain was excruciating and all I could do was follow my Husband's lead.

"OK Honey, breathe, breathe, Breathe! remember the Lamaze classes."

"I AM breathing!!"

I could have just slapped doctor LA maze (or who ever invented Lamaze) right in the face....What a crock.....It didn't work!

The nurse gave me some Demerol and I was promised I'd sleep for a long time maybe even overnight...ZZZZZZZZZ. ONE HOUR and a half later....AKKKKKKKK  OOOOO HUM MAN NA HUM MA NA  YEE OW ZA!!! THE PAIN!!!!!

"I need more Demerol Nurse."

"Sorry you can't have anymore yet."

This fact did not stop me from begging every single person  that came in that room for some kind of drug.

By the time I was almost ready to push it seemed to me that everyone had seen my Shangrila. And what was insane was that I could care less. The pain had such a grip on me I would have shown it to the janitor if
it had  meant some relief...I'm kidding, but then again.....

Hours and hours passed by and It was just my hubby and I in that room. I felt the need to push . the nurses told my hubby it was not time yet. Son of a BEAN SPROUT (potty mouth substitution) !! When My husband insisted, they came in to find that I was indeed More than ready . My doctor was paged....he never showed up.

Another doctor with alcohol on his breath came in and now I
was freaked out to no end. 
In the delivery room not only was everyone looking at my zippedy do da, but now a spotlight was aimed at it for more emphasis.source
My Husband started the countdown
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5,  what was this ? the launch of the Space Shuttle? 4, 3, " Honey I love you, but Please stop breathing on me!" I whined. I couldn't help it everything bothered me.
In addition to the spotlight I was now privy to a gigantic mirror where I could look and observe the goings on . Oh Geez Louise I couldn't look. I wanted to be somewhere else. I couldn't handle the fact that I felt so out of control.  I didn't want to be there in that pain. just tell me when its over!
another contraction
10,9,8,7,   "stop breathing on me!"
6, 5, 4, 3,   My Husband and the nurses stopped to tell me they could see the baby's head....
"Hun, stop telling me you see the baby's head..your freaking me out!!!" I whined between contractions. I continued the constant pushing.
OK, this baby was holding on to my diaphragm or lung because she would not budge!
My husband kept the countdown going and just when I thought I couldn't do any more my baby girl was pushed into the world. Suddenly everything was quiet as she struggled to breathe at first. then...a strong willful cry was heard. My pain was gone immediately after she was born and when the nurse placed her on my chest I whispered her name over and over.
 Instantly my love for her was overwhelming.  My husband's face was full of love for our baby girl and I knew then that I would never be the same again. She was my baby and I was her Mom. A Mom. I would be a Mom for the rest of my life.

 When my son was born a few years later I was calmer....Epidural this time (best invention since...well...EVER!) I had changed doctors. Everything was under control, And I was afraid that the same feeling would allude me this time. It didn't. When I saw my son for the first time it was instant Love. I whispered his name over and over and was yet amazed that I was his Mom...and that I would be for the rest of my life.


  1. What a wonderful story for Mother's Day week!!! I just had to read some parts to Phil, it was so funny! You should be hearing us both laugh!!! My water broke and then nothing happened, too. But back then, if your water broke, they thought you could not walk around and they kept you in the hospital and induced. EVERYTHING went wrong for you, too bad. Especially with your first, it could have been so much better!!

  2. Great post, I love birth stories!

  3. You're description of the in-hospital experience could have been about me. I was induced so I was a tad prepared for being in the hospital - being that I had never had a baby and had no idea what to expect - but the pain and the total lack of effect of the whole Lamaze crock - telling my husband to "get away from me" and then the instant quiet...and total infatuation with that little being that was now mine.

    Wonderful post!

  4. Very sweet! I have tears in my eyes. ;-)

  5. Ahhh sweets I love this post! What a wonderful tribute to Mother's Day.

    Happy Mother's Day my friend :)

  6. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    I gave you a shout out on my blog today. :)

  7. what a wonderful and beautiful story.

  8. Good description. Most mothers probably mirror your story. My only difference was I never felt the need to push. They were telling me I did and I was telling them I didn't. But, I said if you want me to push, I will. And, out she popped.

    What a joy. 11 years later...still a joy.

    Saw your link on Michelle Teacress' blog.

    The Write Soil

  9. such a pain-filled, joyful memory. Great retelling of something you will never ever forget. Thanks for sharing that with us.

  10. Interestingly enough we went to several hours of Natural Birth Instruction - not lamaze - totally different relaxation method - and I didn't think labor was that bad, until I didn't progress, and didn't progress and got exhausted. Then I had an epidural with the stuff that makes everything progress and then pushing just made my baby sideways, and then I had a c-section after 24 hours. Exhaustion, but not really that bad of pain.
    Second time around 16 hours, then an emergency c-section. Only pain, right before they put me to sleep and afterwards. The only time I did funny breathing techniques was when I was trying not to push after 2 hours of pushing, and I had to not push my baby out for fear of bleeding to death. That was scary. However, I have two amazing, beautiful daughters, and I am healthy and happy. So it worked out, and being relaxed helped overall.
    By the way, I'm hosting a one day Blessings Blogfest on May 31st. Stop by my blog if you would like to join in the fun.


I LOVE comments...I think I'm addicted to them! they are like chips...oooo chips....or chocolate....yum...chocolate. Or like......can ya tell I'm dieting? Please leave me a comment so that I can keep my mind off of snacks!!!