Monday, January 03, 2011

CO Coming From Stove?


Health and CO

Carbon monoxide causes more poisoning deaths in the U.S. each year than any other substance. Many of these poisonings happen during cold-weather months when indoor heating devices are misused or malfunction.

     For a few days now My Husband has been working on some shelves. He likes to build things. So for that last few days he has been staining and re-staining shelves and the smell has permeated every pore of this house. I thought the weird smell was coming from his newest project... I was wrong. I smelled it in the kitchen. What is that? Every now and then I would smell sort of an engine smell. Then I realized a few days ago that it was coming from the stove. Every time I turned the stove on a slight weird non-gas smell seemed to waft around. Maybe it's this cold I thought It's making my sense of smell act wacky and or maybe its the stain hubby is using. Last night as cold as it was I had the urge to open all the windows in the house  for a while to air it out and knew that first thing in the morning I was going to call the gas company. Just to be on the safe side. They came within the hour and tested the stove. They found that it was emitting higher than normal amounts of CO. They capped the line and we are now waiting for Sears to come and check out the stove. I hate to think what could have happened if I had not opened all the windows last night. He said the levels weren't lethally high but he did shut off the gas and capped the line on the stove. Now, I tell you I have CO detectors and Fire Detectors on every level of the house and they will be definitely be replaced for better newer ones today.  Perhaps the levels never got high enough for them to detect? I don't know. But you want to know something weird? CO is odorless. The smell that was coming from the stove was something he had never smelled before and he couldn't explain. Again CO is odorless. Thinking on it... I believe that  perhaps yet another miracle has happened in my life. ...If there had been no slight smell that concerned me about a possible gas leak I would have never known about the CO.  I would have just gone on and I shudder to think what could have happened. I feel the detectors would have alerted us but I have had them for more than five years. Maybe they would not have. They need replacing. So as I wait for the Sears guy to arrive I ask You all to check your Smoke detectors and if you have no CO detector Get some right NOW. And if you have them and they are more than five years old get new ones RIGHT NOW. I don't care if you have to go into debt or have to borrow the money til pay day. Take care of Yourselves and the Little ones who innocently depend on you to protect them. God, you never seize to amaze me.      Blessings Joanne
Carbon Monoxide facts

Protecting Your Family From CO

1 comment:

I LOVE comments...I think I'm addicted to them! they are like chips...oooo chips....or chocolate....yum...chocolate. Or like......can ya tell I'm dieting? Please leave me a comment so that I can keep my mind off of snacks!!!